TITLE: Direct Support Professional (DSP)
SARAH Inc. is a leader in the health services industry providing quality services and support to people with developmental and physical disabilities. We are looking for dedicated individuals to work with people in a variety of service settings. For over 60 years SARAH Inc. has depended on DSPs to provide person-to-person care to our individuals.
You will be asked to provide supervision, support, and training to people with differing abilities. You will develop and implement activities that are person-centered and promote positive outcomes. We are looking for an individual who can provide the environment and supports necessary to promote appropriate social skills and positive behaviors that will enhance skills, enrich lives, and foster community presence and participation. SARAH Inc. offers a comprehensive benefits program including: Medical; HSA; Dental; Vision; Voluntary Life/AD&D; Voluntary Short Term and Long Term Disability; 401K
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (not limited to):
- Provide supervision, guidance and instruction to individuals in assigned service setting(s). This can include community-based work settings and in-home supports. Support services may include: direct supervision, personal care, dispensing medication, behavioral interventions, assistance with finding competitive employment, employment training, etc.
- Supply transportation for service participants in accordance with SARAH Inc. safe-driving policies and practices including the use of your personal vehicle.
- Develop and implement activities that are person-centered and promote positive outcomes.
- Maintain medical, social and programmatic files by recording each person’s progress and documenting required information. Including, but not limited to: service goals, attendance records, behavioral data, progress notes, quarterly and annual reports, and more as needed.
- Ensure the health, safety, and well-being of SARAH Inc. individuals in accordance with the individual service plan and in compliance with agency policies and procedures.
- Create and maintain positive relationships with service participants, families, co-workers and other community representatives.
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Knowledge of person-centered, outcome-based services for people with differing abilities, company policies and procedures, applicable regulatory standards and community resources
- Skill in implementing programs & activities as outlined in the individual support plan
- Effectively write and communicate in a courteous and professional manner
- Ability to attend to the physical and personal needs of adults with differing abilities, problem-solve effectively, maintain confidentiality, use adaptive and other equipment
High school diploma or equivalent required; Associate or Bachelor’s degree in related field preferred; knowledge of learning and behavioral processes helpful. Must be over 21 and possess a valid CT driver’s license, have an acceptable driving history and utilize your own vehicle for SARAH business as defined by SARAH Inc.’s policy.
REQUIRED PHYSICAL EFFORT:
Must be able to sit, stand and walk at an assigned location(s) and work for extended periods of time; bend/stoop, kneel and balance frequently; climb, reach above shoulder level; push/pull, squat and crouch occasionally; with assistance, lift, carry and position individuals of various weight. Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds occasionally. Must be able to drive multi-passenger vehicles for extended periods throughout the day.